The Choices for Plugs and Sockets

There is always the question to hard wire a kiln or use disconnectable connectors. I much prefer the latter. The main reason is I sometimes like to move kilns around the shop. And if I have a socket available at some location I can use it for more than one heating unit. Whatever your position on this issue, if you are squeamish about electricity, definitely use the socket and plug idea (by this I mean you won't have to go inside to disconnect the bare wires or hire an electrician just because you want to move something a few feet).
There is a big world out there when it comes to plugs and sockets. Here is a site that has a good set of references for the entire Nema Grade Plugs and Sockets. This isn't the only one­ Search on the web for "Nema Plugs." Please don't forget to come back.
There are a wide variety of connectors. The connectors above are all straight blades, but there are also some heavier duty commercial wonkers, twist-locking, like what might be use at a carnival. Do some searching. My rule of thumb is to use plugs and sockets for everything up to 60 amps and everything above that use hard wire in conduit. I also use conduit on most frames up to the actual connector line which I generally use heavy duty rubber coated multi strand. Again check with your local codes about this issue as you might not have a choice: some locations you have to hard wire almost everything.
Back to "Kiln Electrical System"